Monday, June 28, 2010

El Primer Dia de Clases


Today was my first day of classes. The campus is so beautiful! Very large, spacious, in a villa style. Almost all the classes are outside, both of mine are. My class schedule changes every week, I get a new teacher and class "room" (I use quotations because most of the classes are at tables scattered throughout campus) I have a grammar class that's about 2:30 hrs long, a conversation class that's about 1:40 minutes long, and a cultural class that's about 50 minutes long. In my grammar class this week, we're reading about different Latin American writers. Today we learned about Manuel Gutierrez Najera and read his poem "Desde Entonces." In my grammar class, there are three students including myself. My conversations class is me, another student, and our teacher. All we do is talk. Today we talked about social justice and film. When speaking with most of the other students outside the classroom, they mostly speak English or like, a combination, so it's nice to have at least a few hours a day where we just talk in Spanish. For our cultural class, we made "Pulseras". The picture is of my bracelet. I got a little confused. The knot is supposed to wrap around the bracelet but because of the way I tied it, it goes in like a zig zag, lol. Oh, well. Well, Lila picked Oyinna and I up at school when classes were over. At home, we had lunch which was a soup, I unfortunately can't remember the name. It was a Mexican dish I can't really describe the broth. It wasn't really spicy but I think it had oil in it. The color was orange and it had chopped noodles, so i could use a spoon to eat the noodles. We also ate croissants, salad, fresh vegetables again, and corn tortillas. OMG!!! There's this really cool thing, I'll ask Lila what' it's called tomorrow, but it's like (my mom called it a tortilla cozy) it's two insulated pot holders sew halfway together and you put the tortillas inside to keep them warm. It was so cool! Of course, when I told my mother of these wonders she wanted one, lol. Well, after lunch, my roommate and I were still quite tired so we took a nap. Afterwards, us three ladies went to Cuernavaca Plaza which is like a shopping mall. There were many really nice stores and everything. We went to buy a sim card for my roommate's phone but she ended up not needing it, so we went to un restaurante for drinks. The name of the restaurant is Sanborns and apparently it's a chain that's all over Mexico. My roommate had 2 Margaritas (it was happy hour so it was 2-for-1), my host had tequila and Coke, and I had a Pina Colada. That's the life! Drinking Pina Coladas in the evening in tropical Mexico. We were there for like two hours talking about our families and Lila told us a lot about the city of Cuernavaca. It was such a relaxing evening. We met one of her friends who bought us drinks. We didn't want any, but my host got another Tequila that she didn't want, and my roommate and I got coffee. He tried talking to me in English but I kept talking to him in Spanish. One thing I notice about the culture, is there doesn't seem to be much rules about traffic aside from obeying lights and signs. I don't think my host has used her blinker yet. People drive fast, I don't believe I've seen a speed limit sign yet, lol. And pedestrians don't have the right of way so a person must be careful when crossing the street. I'm not trying to speak negatively of Mexican drivers, it's just interesting to see because traffic laws in the USA are very strict so it's interesting to see a culture where traffic laws are, like, not, lol. It's interesting. I'm really enjoying my time here. Me gusta mi escuela, la comida, mi companero, mi madre, la ciudad y la cultura.

No comments:

Post a Comment