Sunday, June 27, 2010

New Arrival

I just arrived at my new home for six weeks. My host mother is named Lila. A driver picked my roommate and I up from the airport in Mexico City to here. The drive was a little over an hour and so beautiful. The area is so green. As we drove to Cuernavaca, we climbed hills and hills surrounded by trees. We could look out and see the vast forest with Mexico City nestled in the valley. Along the road to Cuernavaca, we saw little stands selling fruit and roasting corn. There were little restaurants too that instead of being in buildings were underneath tarps with plastic chairs and tables. We saw lots of corn farms, and my roommate, Oyinna, and I want to try Mexican corn because we both love corn. As we drove along, I read the signs to see if I could understand. Most of them I could figure out if I didn't already know. Well, we arrived at our new, temporary home where our hostess greeted us warmly, as did her dog Benji, lol. Lila showed us to our room and served us dinner which was really good. Fresh vegetables and seasoned carne. Muy delicioso. :-) The house is gorgeous. The building itself isn't necessarily big, probably a little smaller than my parent's house, but the outdoors is enormous. She has two terraces and the lawn wraps around the house with plenty of room for running around and enjoying maybe some soccer or something. When the lighting's better I'll take pictures and post a virtual tour. The temperature is moderate with a little humidity. Haven't seen much of the sun, mostly clouds. It is rainy season so probably will rain. Sun would be nice, though, lol. I can hear the thunder, and I turned the lights off so I can see the light from the lightening. I'm definitely in the tropics. This reminds me of when I was in Puerto Rico with my dad and we sat on the balcony and watched the lightening and listened to the thunder over San Juan. I am definitely in the tropics, haha. I can also hear birds and crickets. This is such a nice area, I'm quite lucky and grateful to live here.

Well, tomorrow is my first day of classes. I have no idea what to expect so I'm really nervous. I hope I'm challenged enough or not too much, depending, lol. So far my Spanish has gotten me pretty far. I made it through immigration and customs, and I've been able to communicate with my driver and hostess; hold conversations with them. I just have a weird feeling that something's going to go wrong, and I have no idea what it is and I'm probably just paranoid but I have a weird feeling that SOMETHING will go wrong.

On a more positive note, I brought my hostess Ghiradelli chocolate and she was so happy when I gave it to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment