Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The Second Day of Classes


Today wasn't as eventful as yesterday. For breakfast, though, Lila made a really interesting dish for me. It was ham and cheese fried between to tortillas with salsa. It was actually really good, I'll have to remember that one. Well, I had classes today, and in my conversation class we had a packet so we could talk about suenos, dreams. We also work on pronunciation in that class, and today, my teacher FORCED me to drop my Spanish accent and I had to pronounce my "c" like an "s" instead of a "th" which was harder than I thought it would be because I would see the letters and want to pronounce it like a "th" but my teacher wants me to speak like a Mexican, so she made me drop my accent. To please her, I'm trying to practice changing my accent and so now I do sort of a mixture. I say the "th" less and less but still once in a while, I say it. So, for lunch, we had sopa y pescado con salsa. I don't usually like fish, but this was really good. And, of course, ate it with a tortilla. Oh! And the tortilla cozy is called a tortillario. My mom wants some, lol. So, after lunch, my roommate and I went upstairs and I took a nap. We then went to the supermarket. We actually wanted to go to Wal*Mart because there some things we needed that we thought we could really only get at a department store, turns out we're right. But, there are like two streets and one goes to the Wal*Mart and the other goes to the Sam's Club. (Yes, there is a Wal*Mart, Sam's Club, and even a Costco and Home Depot.) Apparently we took the street that goes to the Sam's Club but right next to the Sam's Club is a supermarket, so we went there and my roommate and I bought a few things we needed and a few things we didn't need like galletas y dulces, lol. In total, I only spent $960 pesos (which is about $9.60 in American dollars) Considering what I bought, that's not a lot. And the above picture is of me outside the supermarket. So, we walked back and on our way, a handsome guy who looked about 26 or so started flirting with my roommate. We were almost home! It was funny because she's married and I'm pretty sure older than he is. He was polite, more polite than the men who kept cat-calling us as we walked and he totally respected Oyinna and politely left us alone when she told him she had a husband, which is refreshing. For dinner, since Lila had class after 5, her housekeeper cooked me tacos. For cultural class today, we cooked tacos, but I wasn't feeling well so I didn't last too long. Oyinna said they were good. By the way, I just counted the number of mosquito bites I received over the past two days, mostly yesterday, and I have seven on my left leg and ten on my right. 17 total. Not the happiest camper, lol. Well, the tacos here are not like in america. The tacos we made in cooking class and that I had for dinner were boiled potatoes mashed together and spread onto corn tortillas. The tortillas were then rolled up and fried and served with salsa y queso on top. I didn't have cheese this evening but there was cheese earlier. My roommate and I ate by ourselves and spent a quiet evening at home. There wasn't so much lightening today as there was yesterday or the day before but there was a little. As always, I can hear the birds and crickets from my open window.

No comments:

Post a Comment