Monday, July 12, 2010

Tepotzlan y Nuevo Horario

Sorry I didn't post about my awesome day yesterday, guys. Well, yesterday we went to Tepotzlan which is un pueblo cerca de Cuernavaca. This pueblo has become quite a tourist spot and after being there I understand why. Tepotzlan means something like "abundant with copper" because this area's full of copper, and apparently because of this, it has a lot of engergia so a lot of the extraterrestrials come here. Bueno, first thing we did in Tepotzlan was go to one of the many colonial churches in the pueblo. We had to walk cuz the streets were too narrow for the bus. As we approached the church, there was a giant mural created out of seeds like beans and whatever. It was amazing! It had the story of indigenous gods, the origin of the pueblo, and the influence of the Catholic religion on the pueblo. It's just fascinating. So, this church was so cool! We could only go to the cloisters because we went on a Sunday and the church was in use. But the cloisters were hella cool cuz there were these murals all over the walls and ceiling, and they all had a meaning to integrate the current beliefs of the indigenous ppl and Catholic ideals. Which when I went to La Basilica I sorta learned from my tour guide. The reason La Virgen es muy importante para hispanic Catholics is because in the indigenous cultures, the mother goddess was most important so they needed that same mother-figure in this new religion. And I also learned that Mother's Day is WAY more important in this pais than Father's Day. No one does anything for Father's Day apparently. But moms, this is apparently the place to be, lol. So the more I learn about the integration of indigenous beliefs and Catholic beliefs in the Latin Americas, the more interested I am. Back to the cloisters. OMG!!! If I were to be a Monk, that would be the place to be it. They had an AMAZING view. These giant windows were cut in the walls and you could see the mountain covered in tropical forest, green EVERYWHERE. And, oh, my goodness, to see that every day? That's where I would want to be a Monk. So we walked back and as we waited outside the church, a funeral procession came by. There was music, a parade of ppl, and the coffin was very beautiful. I noticed ppl weren't really dressed up in anything specific or fancy like the funerals I've been to in the US. I was, well not glad, but interested to see that. So afterwards we walked to the mountain where the pyramid was. My friend Adam and I noticed these like, food stands that had food that looked like triangle pancakes that looked really good. Well, we walked and so much rainforest. There was this one rock I remember that had water dripping off it cuz it rained on Saturday. Gracias a Dios that it wasn't raining as we climbed the mountain because I had been looking forward to this. The mountain was so steep that the trail was constructed of rocks that you climb. We got really hot at one point and just covered ourselves in water, and I felt so much better after that. The rest of the walk didn't seem so bad. So many trees; I loved it. :-) We got to the top and had an amazing view of Tepotzlan and the surrounding mountains. There were these animals that our tour guide told us are aggressive and can bite, but they didn't bite anyone today. There were cool to look at tho. So we climbed the pyramid and the steps were so narrow that you HAD to walk sideways. Adam and I walked around the side and took a seat. We just sat there and watched ppl climb up and absorbed the tropical scenery. There were these awesome bees that were like, eating the moss on the side of the pyramid or something and they were like, green and black and hella cool. So many interesting wildlife. We took a group picture when everyone arrived. We had the same tour guide as Saturday and Teotihuacan which was awesome because he's super cool. He helped Onna climb up, lol. So we climbed back down and on the way to the restaurant Los Colores for to watch the World Cup, Adam and I saw one of those stands with the triangle pancakes and decided to grab something to eat. So the lady asked us wat we wanted on ours and I had chicken and Adam had potatoes and like pork or something. She cut the triangles in half and put them on this giant, metal, round plate over fire and fried them. She put our fixings on and fried those. Then, she put the fixings on one half and put the other half on top. They were freakin amazing. I have no idea what they're called, but they tasted hella good. Feakin, awesome. We kept walking and bought some roadside tamales de verduras. We didn't want to go to the restaurant so we went to the market which was interesting because there were all sorts of different shops and all sorts of different foods for sale and so many different smells. So many people, such a lively environment. We kept passing these stands that said "nieve" which I found quite curious so we stopped at one and Adam told me about it so I thought I would try one. He had cafe con leche, and I had limon, mi preferido. Apparently, they're like ice cream and a snow cone at the same time or something. Whatever it was it was muy, muy rico. Adam got something else to eat and we watched the game in the market until it started raining real badly and the satellites got all funky. It was almost the end of the match, I believe they had started overtime. So we ran to the end of the market and saw nothing but rain just pouring down, so we waited for a minute until I remembered my umbrella. We huddled together and hurried to Los Colores where some ppl were leaving but our tour guide was still there. We talked to him for a minute before we went to the TV to watch the last five minutes of the game. Viva Espana!!! Jaja, it was awesome. Then it was time to leave which was perfect timing cuz the tv started to get funky there too. The walk back was awful. The streets were FLOODED. Seriously, like rivers and whatnot. So our feet and legs obviously got wet, and I was glad I didn't wear jeans. The group leaders arranged for the bus to come get us cuz of the rain but by the time the bus arrived there was no rain and it might have been faster for us to walk. So we came back and when I arrived at the house, I got ready to go to mass at the Cathedral. I love going to mass There. It's actually fairly different than the masses I've gone too, and I love the crucifix. Probably my second favorite after the one at St. Bonnie's. That was pretty much my day yesterday.Well, today, we had a change in horario. Instead of my class schedule being literatura, conversasion, cultura, it is now cultura, conversasion, y literatura. It is quite strange that they would change like tht but I think it's because something about the French students and the teacher situation, idk. But, I now have a much bigger class. I have 7 ppl in my conversation class, including myself, and 6 ppl in my literatura class. I was worried about changing conversation teachers cuz I loved Norma so much but I have her for literatura. I have Gloria for my conversation teacher and she's really fun too. We played a game called "Password". Where we drew an occupation card and had to make the person next to us guess wat it was. This reminds me, pretty much every day during/after lunch, we watch tv and always there's the Mexican The Price is Right. And always when I see it, I think to myself, "What an odd show." People just guess the price of things, it's very weird. And they get prizes for it. I kinda like Password tho. So I had cooking this morning and we made, madre, siempre olvido el nombre de esta comida. Es fried tortillas con salsa verde. It was interesting. Not my favorite thing but I will probably cook it for myself in the states. Just like the Sopa de Tortillas es muy facil para cocinar. The sun was out today! No rain and STILL no rain. It's AWESOME. It got cloudy this afternoon, but no rain. Hay relampagos y tumbres pero no hay lluvia. Gracias a Dios. Por fin! Por fin.

No comments:

Post a Comment