Thursday, July 22, 2010

TORTURE!

Haha, if you're either me or my brothers, you would get the inside joke that is the title of this blog entry. Well, either way, this evening felt like torture. I saw the doctor and she prescribed an antihistamine, which i'll pick up tomorrow. Then we made pulseras AGAIN. Conversation was good. I told my chistes and my tongue-twister. Then! we did an exercise where our teacher gave us 3 photographs each, and we had to write a story based on the pictures. Nathan hated that assignment and said he would rather take a chem final but honestly, that's the kind of thing I've been dying to do since I got here. Unfortunately, we didn't have sufficient time to write the kind of story I wanted. The three pictures I received are one of the Roman Colosseum, one of some random village in a mountain in what looked like America, and the SWAT team. So I wrote a story about a guy who kills the Italian president and flees to a village in Vermont. Then the SWAT team finds him. It's really more interesting than that, but that's the outline. The funny thing is, Nathan wrote a story about a couple who fall in love, get married, and have a kid, lol. He wrote the love story, and I wrote the action story. It was fun. :-) Now, literatura is a COMPLETELY different story. After an hour or so and asking a few questions, I finally understood the story. At least, I think I did. Today, I realized that I would be having this much trouble in this class and with this story if it were in English, and that's really frustrating to think about. I also realized that I probably wouldn't do any better on the AP exam if I took it again now. I know my Spanish has improved, but those skills just haven't developed. I'm getting better at speaking in the past tense, which is good. The end of class, we played Hangman. We were able to guess everyone's EXCEPT, no one but the teacher knew what mine was. ;-) I used gorrion, and they got all the letters except for the "g". :-) I was so proud of myself. I used a word that they couldn't get. As we read this story, I feel frustrated in that class because Douglas understands a lot of the vocabulary and the stories and like, he'll have conversations about the story with Norma which doesn't do the rest of us any good because we have no idea what they're talking about, which is what I think is one of the problems. He knew what a gorrion was, but he didn't think of it when he and Nathan were guessing. (haha!) I was so proud that I stumped the class. :-) so, this afternoon was pretty slow. I was irritated because we had to pay for a taxi home from school. I usually wouldn't mind cuz it was only $35 pesos, but our host family is supposed to pay for a taxi if they can't pick us up. It doesn't really matter, I guess. Then, Oyinna and I took naps. Mine was kinda short, but then I started working on my paper. And I continuously distracted myself from my essay, lol. I finally finished, and this is the best paper I've written since I got here. It took me all night because I kept avoiding it. I eventually ran out of distractions and had no choice but to do it, lol. But that was the torture part: writing my ensayo. But at least I got it done, and it turned out well. I can't wait to next week, and I will definitely talk to Carmen if I get ANOTHER literatura class because I'm SICK of it. The stories are great and interesting, but it's just so hard, and I don't like writing the essays. People are like, "shouldn't you like writing essays because you're a writer?" but essays are COMPLETELY different than screenplays. I would rather write a 90 page screenplay than a 2 page essay. Well, I'm DONE with literatura, pretty much. I have a nice weekend ahead of me, and two weeks to go. Let's see how it all goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment